Once I started making ice cream this way, I stopped bothering with the egg-laden version. This is 3 minutes work, 30 minutes in your ice cream maker, and then (at least) an hour in the freezer.
You can make it in any flavor you feel like – I have given a few of my favorite options here.
As I am sensitive to cow’s-milk, I have also noted the dairy-free/Pareve version, which is also (in this case) the vegan version. I hope you enjoy!
500 ml. heavy cream (or dairy-free/Pareve substitute)
300 ml. (1¼ cups) milk (or dairy-free/Pareve substitute such as soy milk/rice milk/almond milk)
6-8 Tbsp. sugar (if using dairy-free cream substitute, reduce to 4 Tbsp., as it is significantly sweeter)
1 vanilla bean, scraped for seeds
Optional – flavor varieties:
- For cinnamon ice cream – mix in ½ tsp. of powdered cinnamon before transferring to the ice cream maker.
- For Mocha-flavored ice cream – melt 1-2 tsp. instant coffee into the mixture before transferring to the ice cream maker.
- For a gorgeous pistachio-flavored ice cream – mix in 1 heap Tbsp. pistachio paste before transferring to the ice cream maker, and a handful of peeled unroasted pistachios to the cold ice cream while it is still soft.
- For vanilla-chocolate chip ice cream – add a handful of chocolate chips to the cold ice cream while it is still soft.
- For ripple ice cream – add 1-2 softened Tbsp. of your favorite jam (strawberry/raspberry/apricot/Dolce De Leche) to the cold ice cream while it is still soft, and swirl with spoon.
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
*including anything in flavor varieties marked as “before transferring to the ice cream maker”*
Churn in an ice-cream maker for 25-30 minutes (if you do not have an ice cream maker, place in a closed container in the freezer – remove and mix every ½ an hour until it reaches desired consistency).
pour into freezer-friendly lidded-container, and freeze.
*This is the stage where you add anything in flavor varieties marked as “add to the cold ice cream while it is still soft”*